Thursday, July 25, 2019

Three from My Storyboard Graveyard

In the process of updating my personal website, I came across storyboards that never made it for three Illumination films: "The Grinch", "Minions",  and "Despicable Me 2".  I worked for months and months on versions of these films that were later abandoned.  Nothing I boarded for "The Grinch" made it onscreen, but here is a clip (without sound) showing the Grinch's "Aha!" moment - the plot to steal Christmas...

My sole contribution to the finished "Minions" is a piece of business where Scarlet adjusts her gown, which ends up in an entirely different sequence of an entirely different film.  In this version, Scarlet's boyfriend is a failed inventor and the minions have teamed with a brilliant young inventor.  You can see the Dr Seuss influence on the young inventor character - I had just spent two years working on "The Lorax".  

With "Despicable Me 2", a lot of my work made it to screen, but this particular sequence leading up to Gru's wedding did not.   It's largely a shot for shot parody of the end sequence of "The Graduate", where Ben crashes Elaine's wedding. Funny, but way over most of our audience's heads.  I had fun, anyway (note the nod to Mad Magazine).

I'm glad to share these with you.  If you like them, let me know.   There's plenty more in the graveyard.

Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment